The Bears escaped Toronto with a 22-19 win over the Bills. Going in, you would think that a winning team going up against an 0-7 team should be able to score a more decisive victory, but these Bears are not as strong as their record would indicate the Bills are certainly better than their 0-fer record. We touched on some of the first half points earlier, so here are some initial reactions to the Bears’ 5th win of the season:
- Tim Jennings turned in a nice game at cornerback. I was down on the diminutive corner when they brought him in, but he has played way bigger than his size.
- The Bears still can’t run the ball. When they do, it looks forced and seems fairly obvious. If Martz is such a genius, he needs to figure out a way to get the running game going.
- Chris Williams isn’t athletic enough to play guard. I saw on several plays where he was trying to trap or pull and ended up on his ass or missing his assignment. Otherwise, I thought the line played a little better. Not great, but better.
- It was nice to see the Bears more effective in the RED ZONE. If they can get this kind of productivity from the offense when in “scoring position,” they might have a chance to make some noise in the second half of the season.
- Julius Peppers was shaken up late in the game. Hope he is all right.
- Izzy Idonije did his native Canada proud with another strong effort.
Lots more reaction, but Mrs. Bear Goggles is yelling at me because we have early dinner plans. Gotta run.
Bottom line, Bears are 5-3.