I’m convinced NFL cutdown day is why Twitter was created. With news traveling fast and furious, it’s THE place to keep up with the latest roster moves. I created a Twitter list with the usual suspects that cover the Bears beat including Brad Biggs, Sean Jensen, Vaughn McClure, Jeff Dickerson, Michael Wright, Zach Zaidman, Larry Mayer and the rest of the gang. To keep up with the last moves, I urge you to follow that list.
It’s always a tough day to watch guys that we’ve followed through camp and the preseason game get cut. I hope these guys can catch on with other teams. Even guys that make the cut today may not be safe as the Bears scour the waiver wire looking to improve the talent level at some key positions of need.
As news is changing by the minute, by the time I’m done typing this up, there will be more roster moves. Here’s the latest info we have:
- The Bears will enter the season with 2 QB’s on the active roster, as they’ve decided to let Josh McCown go. He made a strong case to stick around against the Browns, but having two backup veterans is a luxury the Bears cannot afford with some of the injuries at other position. Expect the Bears to bring Matt Blanchard in for the practice squad on Saturday. Also don’t be shocked if the Bears scoop McCown back up when Adam Podlesh’s hip allows them to jettison their second punter.
- In other big news, it looks like the Bears have traded away fullback Tyler Clutts to the Houston Texans for former Northwestern grad, cornerback Sherrick McMannis. McMannis gives the Bears some help in the secondary. I’m sure we’ll hear more about what the Bears plan for McMannis in the hours to come.
- Armando Allen is another guy who made a strong bid to stick with the team with a nice game against the Browns. It seems the Bears liked Lorenzo Booker’s contributions to special teams a little more, at least at this point.
- It sounds like the Bears are trying to bring back Amobi Okoye, who the Bucs are going to cut. Okoye provided a spark last season in the rotation at the 3-technique, but chose to test the free agent waters in hopes of more playing time with Tampa. He had his knee scoped in June and hasn’t been healthy for Tampa. The Bears will work him out and if he passes the physical, let’s hope he can pick up where he left off.
- It appears that the Bears didn’t see enough from 6th and 7th round picks, cornerbacks Isaiah Frey and Greg McCoy. Word is Frey has the inside track at a practice squad spot.
- Others early cuts include CB Cornelius Brown, WR’s Joe Anderson and Brittan Golden, LB’s Jabara Williams and Xavier Adibi, S Mark LeGree.
Stay tuned for more information as it comes out and I’ll post my thoughts on the final 53-man roster tonight.