Don’t look now, but reports of the Chicago defense’s demise were greatly exaggerated. The ‘aging’ unit which was supposed to be carried by the up-and-coming offense did a lot of the carrying in a five interception night en route to a 34-18 drubbing of the Dallas Cowboys in Big D. Here are some rapid fire thoughts wrapping up a long day.
- Chris Williams in street clothes – sad. Williams continues his downward spiral and has all but secured first round bust status.
- Jason Witten – F you. You killed my fantasy matchup against Decon with your 13 catch, 112 yard and a TD performance.
- Wait, I think Dez Bryant just dropped another sure fire touchdown.
- Nice to see Jay spread the ball around. Hester and Marshall with touchdowns in the process. Alshon Jeffery (or Jefferies as Jon Gruden would have you believe) and even Kellen Davis with key catches.
- Matt Forte should not have rushed back. He got dinged up on the first play from scrimmage and had a couple of decent runs, but didn’t seem to have that same burst.
- Meanwhile, Michael Bush sure looks nice is short yardage situations.
- By the way, great to see Devin Hester go get one. It seemed like they Bears were trying to force it to him early, but getting him the ball in rhythm when he schooled rookie Claiborne worked well.
- Enough about the offense, let’s get to the good stuff; you know, the defense.
- Charles Tillman basically ran Dez Bryant’s route for him. Way to stick with the ball and get the Pick-6.
- Tim Jennings is still balling out.
- Henry Melton at the 3-technique is really making a difference by collapsing the pocket.
- Lance Briggs with a sweet pick-6 with a big assist to who else? Tim Jennings blocking downfield.
- You can tell Brian Urlacher is still rounding into shape. He’s looking better every week, but he’s still not moving at the speed we’re accustomed to.
- Lovie Smith moved his record to 8-2 on Monday Night Football. Yes, I was surprised too.
That’s all I have for you tonight. Plenty more coverage on the Bears big win in Dallas and a preview of their upcoming trip to Jacksonville to take on MJD and the struggling Jags.