After a one week hiccup at home against the Packers the Texans proved once again that they are the class and most balanced team in the AFC. If you let them get going offensively they are hard to slow down with one of the best play action passers in the NFL in Matt Schaub. The reason I place them at top is that they can play defense and after a week figuring out the defense without Brian Cushing they put it all together again to shut down Flacco and the Ravens. Yes, they looked ordinary against the Packers last Sunday night, but they embarrassed the Ravens this Sunday. Here are this week’s rankings.
1. Houston Texans (6-1) The most complete AFC team, when their offense is clicking they are tough to stop with all their weapons at Matt Schaub’s disposal.
2. Atlanta Falcons (6-0) The lone undefeated team standing. They get their shot to crack the Andy Reid post bye win streak!
3. NY Giants (5-2) Eli Manning is money in the 4th quarter no matter how well or poorly he plays the rest of the game, if there is a chance Eli will seize the opportunity!
4. Green Bay Packers (4-3) Whatever the issue was in the first quarter of the season the Packers have seemed to have ironed it out. The loss of Woodsen could be huge for their suspect defense.
5. Chicago Bears (5-1) The defense played it’s bend don’t break game to perfection. If the defense didn’t pitch a near shut out the offensive line would be questioned a lot more.
6. Minnesota Vikings (5-2) The defense and Peterson bailed out Ponder this past week. They are playing way above their heads, so when does this end?
7. New England Patriots (4-3) They are having a hard time putting away teams which is unusual for a Tom Brady team. You would think they will fix this soon.
8. Baltimore Ravens (5-2) Not the start that the Ravens were looking for in their first game without Ray Lewis. Suggs didn’t seem to miss a step though.
9. San Fransico 49ers (5-2) They need to get their offense straightened out. Alex Smith needs to find his way back.
10. Dallas Cowboys (3-3) They play to the level of their opponent but unlike the Falcons they usually find ways to lose. They escaped Carolina this week.
11. New Orleans Saints (2-4) Watch out NFC! The Saints are starting to figure it out without Coach Payton. Brees is still lighting it up weekly.
12. Seattle Seahawks (4-3) The Seahawks defense is impressive, Russell Wilson has been inconsistent which is expected for a rookie QB.
13. Philly Eagles (3-3) Andy Reid wins every year after the bye week. Chalk it up right now, sorry Falcons.
14. Miami Dolphins (3-3) Reggie Bush leads the Phins with another rookie QB. Should be interesting what they do after they bye week.
15. Arizona Cardinals (4-3) The offensively challenged Cardinals are sinking faster than the Titanic.
16. Pittsburgh Steelers (3-3) They finally won on the road. Will this put the Steelers on a roll, Can they win two games in a row?
17. Denver Broncos (3-3) Peyton Manning was on a roll before the bye week. McGahee will need to really start carrying the load.
18. San Diego Chargers (3-3) The bye week and the Cleveland Browns should help right the ship.
19. NY Jets (3-4) Shonn Greene is starting to play like a NFL running back! The emergence of the running game helps Sanchez immensely.
20. Cincinnati Bengals (3-4) Their defense is keeping them from winning, and it was their strength last season.
21. St. Louis Rams (3-4) It is very painful to watch them play horizontally every play.
22. Tampa Bay Bucs (2-4) They had so many chances Sunday and threw them all away. Might as well call them Tampa Cowboys
23. Detroit Lions (2-4) Their offense hasn’t clicked all season especially in the first three quarters. You can’t have multiple 2nd and 1’s and not convert on any of them to succeed.
24. Buffalo Bills (3-4) It’s hard to believe that this was a sleeper defensive group. Every week I’m thankful that Phil Emery didn’t invest in Mario Williams
25. Washington Redskins (3-4) How on earth do you let Victor Cruz get behind the entire defense and spoil a great game by RG3?
26. Indy Colts (3-3) Andrew Luck is getting the job done and he will upset a few playoff contenders during the stretch drive.
27. Oakland Raiders (2-4) Congrats on making a comeback to beat the Jags in Oakland! I hope you enjoyed one of your last wins of the season.
28. Tennessee Titans (3-4) Two game winning streak, and Chris Johnson has a big game on the road… (Johnson shredded the Bills D.. Big deal!)
29. Carolina Panthers (1-5) Cam looks like a man that has lost every last ounce of confidence which seems impossible after last season. Losing will do that to anyone.
30. Kansas City (1-5) Good News-They decided on a QB for Sunday Bad News- It’s Brady Quinn
31. Cleveland Browns (1-5) They are keeping games close….moral victories is all the Browns can seemingly win this season.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-5) They lose in overtime and then lose Maurice Jones-Drew, let’s face it they are just losers.