The home of Chicago Bears football will be doubling as home of Team USA “futbol” later today as the US Men’s National team takes on Belgium in an elimination game in the World Cup’s Round of 16. US Soccer has been hosting viewing parties in Grant Park, but the size of the crowds have caused them to change to larger venues with each subsequent game. With elimination at stake, they must be anticipating some huge crowds. Here are some things to know if you’re planning to head to Soldier Field for the 3PM game. Or do you call it a match?
- Parking lots open at 12:30 PM for tailgating.
- Gates to Soldier Field open at 1:30 PM. Be aware that normal security procedures will be in place, so avoid bringing large bags.
- Fans will be allowed on the turf or in the seating areas.
- Normal Soldier Field parking fees apply, but admission is FREE.
- Alcohol and other concessions will be available for purchase.
- The CTA and Metra will follow a Bears game schedule.
I know this is a Bears blog, but since this is taking place in the home of the Bears – and re-sodding will likely be required – it’s worth a quick heads up.