Shhh. I’ve snuck behind enemy lines to see what they’re saying down in the Big Easy as they prepare for the Thursday night tilt with the Beloved. I may also sneak onto Bourbon Street to see what’s going on there, but don’t tell the wife. Pass the Hurricanes!
- BREAKING NEWS!!! They are talking about the weather and how cold it’s going to be in Chicago. A couple of stooges on www.nola.com did a video preview of the game, where they joked about the Saints preparing for the Bears in chilly New Orleans, where the temperature was hovering around 60 degrees. Come shovel my driveway a-holes and you’ll see cold!
- They bemoan the fact that the Bears have ended their season the last 2 years, including a huge 39-14 win in the NFC championship game 2 years ago. Gosh, doesn’t it seem so much longer? I mean, Kyle Orton’s mighty neck beard was but a lowly goatee back then.
- In the Saints’ Mailbag, reporter Jeff Duncan discusses Saints’ kicker Garrett Hartley’s long field goal range, which happens to be 54 yards when he was in high school. The reporter wisely qualifies that Thursday night it won’t matter, because, you guessed it, the frigid conditions in Soldier Field make the ball hard, etc.
- Mike Triplett of The Times-Picayune writes a nice piece on local kid makes good on Matt Forte, who starred at Tulane and Slidell High. The Saints heap praise on the rookie running back and expect to see a steady dose of him on Thursday. My fantasy team hopes they’re right!
- Saints’ tackle Jammal Brown has been ruled as OUT for the game. That’s good news for a Bears defense that has had problems generating a pass rush solely with the line. Let’s see if Mark Anderson can build on a solid effort last Sunday as he rotates with Alex Brown at the right defensive end position.
I’ll try to make this a regular feature each week to do the dirty work so you don’t have to. To be perfectly honest, I was hoping for more dirt or smack talking from the Saints’ sites, but given that it’s a short week, I’ll cut ‘em some slack. I expect much better material from the Cheeseheads before the next game a week from Monday.