What a week for the Beloved and a great bounce back game for Jay Cutler against the defending champ Pittsburgh Steelers. I hope my DeCon’s Blessing about JC from my Week 2 picks worked out for you. JC didn’t have a great game, but he did what he was brought in to do…take the last possession with an opportunity to win the game and WIN THE GAME!!! That’s all I need from #6 and I think we will have a great season if he has the ball late.
Week 3 takes the Beloved to Seattle and also marks the site of the annual pilgrimage of my Brothers (aka very long-time friends) to see the Bears play on the road. Watch out SeaChicken fans, The Brotherhood is coming and Qwest Field may never be the same again. Wish us luck and forgiving law enforcement. Now, I ascend my pulpit to do some preaching for Week 3. This week is slightly truncated since I just became a father for the 3rd time on Saturday and because I still need to pack for my trip to Seattle.
Stone Tablet Locks – chisel these guys in stone as MUST PLAYS this week.
1) Drew Brees vs Buffalo – I would not want to play Madden 2K10 against Brees, because it is obvious he knows more about playing a video game offense than anyone. Brees is SICK and the Saints O is SICK…this is “good sick.” The Bills D is just SICK and this is the “bad sick.” Statistically ranked 31st against the pass, allowing 332 yds of passing in 2 games this season, the Bills D might just want to call in sick to avoid the embarrassment Brees and the Saints O will put on them. Start all your Saints this week, but expect Brees to be the best of the bunch.
2) Matt Forte @ Seattle – I know what you’re saying…this is now the second time in 3 weeks I have had Forte in my Stone Tablet Locks section…I also know that you drafted Forte with a top 5 pick and I never advise sitting a first round pick, especially a top 5 one. Before you write me off as a homer, the Seattle defense comes into Week 3 as the 26th rated defense against the run, statistically, and has allowed a league WORST 7.1 yards per rushing attempt. JC got on track last week and Forte will get on track this week!
DeCon’s Blessing – given to SLEEPERS to sneak in to grab you some big points.
1) Cadillac Williams vs NYG – On the schedule this looks like a game where you might not want to start any Bucs, but you have to go deeper. The Giants are statistically 27th in the league against the run and have allowed 4 rushing TDs in 2 games. The Giants D also leads the league in runs allowed of 20+ yards with 6. I know the Caddy didn’t do much in the rushing game last week, but he made up for it in the passing game with 7 receptions for 56 yards and a TD. At home in the Florida sunshine, I think it is safe to take the Caddy for a ride and maybe even put the top down.
2) Bears DST @ Seattle – this pick may have everything to do with the fact that I am going to the game, but with or without Hasselbeck, the Bears DST is starting to show signs of being back. While they have not put up huge numbers to date this season, they have been getting after teams and especially the QB. I also think Devin is due for a punt return. Cue “Bear Down” from section 335 at Qwest this weekend!!!
Bent Over the Altar – you MUST SIT these players because no one wants to be bent over the altar.
1) Chad Ochocinco (85) vs Pitt – Mr. Twitter is back this year or so he says…I think 85 will have a better season than last year (it couldn’t be much worse), but this week will not do much to help that cause. Since 2001, 85 has had a grand total of TWO 100yd receiving games and THREE TDs against Pitt. That is since 2001 and he played against Pitt 15 times in that span for these pitiful numbers. I drafted 85 on my team because I have bought into the hype and, over the long haul, I think he will pan out, but hopefully you have a better option at WR this week.
2) Marion Barber vs Carolina – this pick is more about circumstances than anything else. The fact is I like Barber and I like him more when he is healthy. Especially when he is going up against a Carolina D that has allowed 168 yards on the ground this season. I also always love to have a stud player on Monday night, the Monday Night Hook, as I call it. All that said, Barber’s injury and the fact that he plays on Monday night go against you this week. In the fantasy world, this is just too great a risk. Unless the news changes drastically in the next day or so, you have to consider another option. Even if he plays, you always worry about the decoy factor or that he could get nicked up again and you don’t want to pin your Monday Night Hook hopes on someone who may not play much. One option to consider is if you have Felix Jones or Tashard Choice, you can likely wait until just before kick-off for the latest info, but if you’re like me and have Barber, but neither of his handcuffs, you’d be better served not to risk it.
Can I get an “Amen?”
The DeCon has spoken…so let it be written, so let it be done…
I’ll hear your fantasy football confessions at [email protected].