Greetings from the Big Easy…glad to say I am writing this post from not only the good ole USA, but also from the site of what looks to be an outstanding game against the Beloved and the Saints. Boomer, Bart and I, along with a bunch of other friends have been enjoying the sites and sounds of Bourbon Street for the last couple nights/mornings and due to a category 5 hurricane last night, care of Pat O’Brien’s famous Hurricane cocktails, I am a little tardy getting this post up. That said, I have my storm shutters firmly in place and have some semi-sober thoughts for Week 2 in fantasy football…on the other side…
Guys I Like
- Shonn Greene vs Jacksonville - Jacksonville can be stingy against the run, but I expect the Jets to start fast and let Greene carry the load to maintain the time of possession. I think Greene finally earns fantasy relevance this week.
- Felix Jones @ San Francisco – Jones showed well and scored a TD last week against the Jets. This week, even though he is on the road, Jones is an excellent play. He is highly involved in the passing game which makes him an even better play in a PPR format.
- Any and all Steelers vs Seattle – Pittsburgh was embarrased by their archrivals, the Ravens, last week and will look to put a hurting on one of the worst teams in the NFL. I am all in on the Steelers for anything fantasy or gaming related.
- Matt Schaub @ Miami – Tom Brady threw for more than 500 yards against the Dolphins last week. While Schaub is no Brady, the Houston passing game should be able to shred the Dolphins secondary.
- Johnny Knox @ New Orleans – I expect this game to be a trackmeet and Knox is my sleeper play of the week. JC clearly trusts him and he can exploit a week New Orleans secondary that was sliced up by the Packers last week.
Guys I Don’t Like
- Cam Newton vs Green Bay – I expect Newton was a hot waiver wire add after his 422 passing yards against Arizona, but experienced fantasy players will know that was Arizona, this is Green Bay. DC Dom Capers will have a lot to show young Cam this week that would make a 10 year vet’s head spin.
- Mike Tolbert @ New England – Tough to sit Tolbert after a 3 TD performance in week 1. The simple fact is Bill Bellachek saw the same film and will devise a scheme to pull the plug on Tolbert. Tolbert is no better than a flex play at best this week.
- Sam Bradford @ NY Giants – Great news that Bradford will play. Bad news is that Steven Jackson likely won’t. The Giants still boast a formidable pass rush and could make life rough for the Rams who may be forced to be one dimensional without SJax.
- Maurice Jones-Drew @ NY Jets – Tough to sit MJD, but you have to make sure you don’t have a better matchup play, because the Jets defense is that good and outside of MJD, the Jags have no one else that scares anyone. Full disclosure, I will likely be forced to start MJD in a couple leagues, but my expectations are low.
- Mark Ingram vs Bears – Ingram didn’t show much in week 1 against the Packers. I don’t expect him to be very productive against a motivated Bears defense and I expect him to become acquainted with Brian Urlacher early and often. Let’s face it, Brian will be very motivated, emotional and pissed off this week…not a recipe for success for a rookie RB.
Honorable Mention – Bears DST vs New Orleans – I think the Bears/Saints game will be a trackmeet and likely not a great play if points against are a biggest strike against in your league, BUT I expect this to be a very emotional game for the Bears defense as they welcome Brian Urlacher back after the passing of his mother. I could see some big plays by Bears D as they rally around their leader. BEAR DOWN!!!
CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!
The DeCon has spoken, so let it be written, so let it be done…
Hit me at [email protected] with your lineup questions. I appreciate all of the emails I have gotten so far this season and I hope my advice is helping. If so, let others know in the comments. Also, you can tweet me @DeCon76.