The next couple weeks are when the cream starts to rise to the top. Likely no team has clinched a playoff spot, but if you are sitting at below .500 and have a glaring need, now is the time to make a move to shore up your roster to give yourself a puncher’s chance, because there could be some teams out of playoff contention after this week for sure. Check out who I like and don’t like…on the other side…
Players I Like
- Shonn Greene @ Buffalo – Coming off a bye week, rested and refreshed, I expect Greene to get a heavy workload to try to keep the Bills offense on the sideline.
- Michael Bush vs Denver – With Darren McFadden taking the week off to rest up for the Raiders big game against the Chargers in Week 10, look for Bush to step in and step up nicely. The Denver run D is about middle of the pack, but I think the Raiders will be up big in this game and Bush will be used to grind out the clock, leading to a lot of GTPs (garbage time points).
- Mike Tolbert vs Green Bay – If the Packers have any weaknesses, they only show up on their defense from time to time. With Tolbert having the whole backfield to himself, he could be in line for a big day. Plus, I am not sure how comfortable Norv Turner is going to be with putting a lot on Phillip Rivers after his inexcusable fumble on Monday night.
- Matt Cassel vs Miami- I don’t think Cassel is a world-beater, but he seems to be finding his groove. The increased role of 6’5″ Jonathan Baldwin certainly helps as does playing at home against the 27th ranked pass D that has allowed 14 passing TDs this season, second only to the Colts (15). Cassel should be in line for a big day.
- Victor Cruz @ New England – Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, “So and So WR Guy lights up Pats secondary…” I think the Cruz Missle is in line for a big game and a full plate since the Giants will likely be without Hakeem Nicks.
Guys I Don’t Like
- Phillip Rivers vs Green Bay – Chances are you have to start Rivers, but if you have another viable option, you may want to strongly consider it. Rivers is pressing and something is off with him. I called it last week too and facing the Packers pass rush fresh off a bye is not a good opportunity for him to get right.
- Ryan Torain vs San Francisco – While the fact that the 49 run D is tops in the league might be enough to sit Torain, also consider that he has rushed for 31 yards on his last 20 carries over 3 games since his breakout game way back in Week 4. You can’t trust any of the Redskins RBs…none of them!
- Stevie Johnson vs NY Jets – While I like Johnson’s upside, he has yet to top 100 yards receiving this season. This week, the first of 2 trips in the next 4 weeks, he visits Revis Island…enough said!
- Anquan Boldin @ Pittsburgh – Boldin has posted double digit fantasy numbers the last 3 weeks, but after the beatdown the Ravens gave the Steelers in week 1, I expect the Steelers D to be ready and for Dick LeBeau to have a plan for his boys to put a hurting on someone. By the way, if you love football, you have to watch this game! As Ravens LB, Terrell Suggs, put it earlier this week, “We are bringing 53 guys to the apocalypse and we ain’t bringing any flowers.” Must see TV!
- Daniel Thomas @ Kansas City – I hope for this kid’s sake, he can kick this early career injury bug he has gotten, but coming off a hammy injury is no joke. Thomas should play, but the Chiefs D is tough at home and if the Chiefs go up early as I expect them to do, it may mean very few chances for Thomas.
Hit me at [email protected] or @DeCon76 on Twitter.
CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!
The DeCon has spoken, so let it be written, so let it be done…