There were a ton of updates from Day 2 of Chicago Bears minicamp, so I’m just going to fire away with some bullet points.
- Henry Melton hopes to be more than just the next “Refrigerator.” The Bears have high hopes for their up-and-coming defensive tackle.
- If you’re worried about the secondary, you can stop. Besides starting CB’s Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings and nickelback DJ Moore, they’ve added veterans Kelvin Hayden and Jonathan Wilhite along with a couple of rookies. Peanut says “In my 10 years of being here, this is the best group of corners we’ve had, just overall talent.”
- Dan Pompei adds rookie safety Brandon Hardin to the group of talented secondary guys who will make a difference in 2012, even though he’s learning a new position.
- If you’re looking for a dark horse candidate to make the final 53-man roster, you might want to put a few bucks on undrafted TE Kyle Adams. Offensive coordinator Mike Tice seems to like him in the “F” role; a motion TE/H-back type. He’s competing with rookie fourth round pick Evan Rodriguez for the role. With Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth pretty much locked to make the team and Evan Rodriguez carrying that draft status, he will be a longshot to make the team.
- Rookie wide receiver Alshon Jeffery returned to practice on Wednesday, but Brian Urlacher did not.
- If you thought Devin Hester was done returning kickoffs, guess again. Apparently it would be ridiculous to take him off the first team returns. But don’t be surprised if Dave Toub does something unique with Hester and new toys like Eric Weems and Devin Thomas.
- Mike Tice is pleased with where the offense is right now while Brandon Marshall has high praise for Bears coaches. Aren’t we all just so happy in June??? I hope this unbridled optimism continues in September.
- While everyone is busy focused on the new offense, defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is just plugging away with the defense. And he’s pleased with his rookie first round pick Shea McClellin too.
Just to close, an impromptu Create a Caption of Jay Cutler at camp.