New Bears GM addressed the media before training camp kicked off! He believes in the Smith Barney way to become a Super Bowl Champ. You get to be a Super Bowl champion the old fashion way…You have to EARN IT on the field. Emery believes that the talent has increased since arriving at his new post but nothing is won in the off season, and everything from championships to positions to playing time is EARNED not given.
Emery touched on many different topics here are the highlights
– The Matt Forte signing is a Win Win for both Forte and the Chicago Bears Organization- This was a huge deal for Emery to get done and he stated that he never felt anxious getting the deal done and it was never considered a distraction. Emery believes that signed or playing underneath the franchise tag, Forte would have played hard this season. Emery is excited that the deal was finalized along with every Bears fan.
– Johnny Knox will most likely start the season on the PUP list. His health is improving and making a steady progress. His back is healing and has begun light running and doing some lifting which is great to hear. Emery expects every player but Knox ready to participate fully when the first practice whistle blows.
– The Left Tackle position is going to be a a battle because the Bears need consistency at the position for obvious offensive success. Emery believes that J’Marcus Webb has the size and tools to hold down the job, but he must find consistency day in day out. Chris Williams vs Webb will be the biggest and possibly most important battle of training camp.
– Emery doesn’t want Jay Cutler to feel the pressure to be elite, but feels that he is working hard to become elite. Emery feels the best way to get Cutler to the highest level is to continue to improve the weapons at his disposal. Getting Brandon Marshall was an obvious huge weapon added to the arsenal.
– First round draft pick Shea McClellin will have to EARN his time on the field just like every other player on the roster.
-Emery has spoken to Brian Urlacher about his contract, but he gave nothing specific about the situation. Urlacher should also be all systems go to start practice.
Emery spoke about wanting to win now and win championships now. It’s nice not to hear a 2 or 5 year plan from a newly hired GM, but that the front office wants to win early and win often! Emery has made his moves and bolstered the roster. He’s done his job in the off season, and now with training camp about to start its up to the Bears to EARN it on the field! Training Camp is Finally here!!!