Bears Minicamp Mania
The Bears wrapped up their minicamp, completing five practices in three days, on Sunday. What have we learned? Let’s see if I can boil it all down for you.
- TE Brandon Manumaleuna and WR Earl Bennett both had offseason knee surgeries. Both seem minor, but a couple of points. First off all, can’t we be informed about these minor procedures without finding out when players are in sweatpants on the sidelines? And second, didn’t Manu have to pass a physical before signing for big money? Just sayin’.
- Tommie Harris is only practicing once on double session days. I thought he was healthy? If he is, get your ass out there and practice; if you’re not , stop telling everyone you are.
- Marcus Harrison missed a few practices with an undisclosed illness. Normally, this wouldn’t be a big deal, but when the guy in question showed up to training camp last year out of shape and overweight, you have to worry that’s he’s passed out under a pile of KFC Double Down wrappers somewhere.
- The Bears are playing musical chairs in the secondary. First, they’re switching Charles Tillman from his usual spot on the left side and moving Zack Bowman there. Of course, the coaches will tell you that it’s to add versatility and to mix it up, but a lot of people are saying it’s to ping Peanut for missing some of the voluntary workouts. He’s been a warrior for you out there – stop messing with him.
- The other odd secondary move is to have Chris Harris play free Safety and Danieal Manning at the strong. Huh? Didn’t Harris excel at strong? Didn’t you draft Major Wright to play the free? Get the guys in their correct spots and move on.
- Jay Cutler loves Mike Martz. Martz love Jay Cutler. Jay loves the new offense. It’s not hard – it’s just different. Time will tell.
- Julius Peppers is a BEAST. Helmets and shorts or not, he’s all over the field. Who said he takes plays off?
- Devin Hester and Johnny Knox are the projected starters at wide receiver, but don’t count out Devin Aromashodu .
- Brian Urlacher is back and the other teams are gonna be in trouble. Hey la, hey la – Uracher’s back! OK, that was a bit gay, but it gets the point across.
- I’ve read in a couple different places – namely here and here – not to count out Craig Steltz in the mix at safety. Duly noted.
Let’s take this for what it’s worth: a bunch of guys running around in shorts and shells. I remember of a lot of guys that have been standouts when no one is trying to hit them.