Aug 23, 2013; Oakland, CA, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) hands the ball off to running back Matt Fort (22) during the first quarter of the game against the Oakland Raiders at O.Co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports
The Bears are leading the Raiders at the half with the score of 27 to 3. Jay Cutler has been spreading the ball around to players not named Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte has been running the ball like a beast. The defense held them to 3 into the half and special teams has been performing well. If the Bears can continue this kind of play into the regular season, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.
What has happened so far:
- Julius Peppers started the game after sitting out the first two preseason games
- DT Henry Melton and WR Earl Bennett both sat out recovering from concussions
- Bears Defense gave up a 15 yard run on the first play of the game followed by a 8 yard quick pass up the middle. Luckily the defense got their stuff together and held the Raiders the next two downs and they punted.
- The Bears offense opened up with 3 tight ends and Matt Forte ran for 7 yards followed by a 2 yard run. Much better than an interception.
- Alshon Jeffery caught a quick slant for 20 yards and a first down, followed by a quick pass up the middle to Martellus Bennett. Jay was spreading the ball around, is everyone happy now?
- Bears special teams forced a fumble on the second kickoff. Even though the Raiders recovered, special teams keeps showing their excellence throughout the preseason
- Julius Peppers blew up a run on second down of the Raiders second drive.
- Tim Jennings intercepted Matt Flynn on 3rd down of the Raiders second drive. Pro Bowl form.
- Matt Forte took advantage of the turnover immediately with a quick swing pass running 32 yards right into the end zone for a touchdown. The Bears have the weapons and they are utilizing all of them this preseason game.
- Bears special teams had a little hickup and gave up a 62 yard return to Jacoby Ford. It happens
- Tillman blitzed the quarterback for a sack. This is not Lovie Smith’s defense anymore.
- Matt Forte made an awesome 34 yard run to the outside.
- TE Fendi Onobun dropped a pass that was right in his hands. Looks like he will be one of the cuts on Tuesday.
- Michael Bush found a wide open hole in the middle of the line and ran 10 yards for a touchdown. The Bears have an awesome running back duo.
- Martellus Bennet had a pass go right through his hands. That was the 3rd drop of the game.
- Jay Cutler avoided a sack by stepping up in the pocket, and then he continued stepping up for a first down. Jay Cutler is playing smart football in this game.
- Jon Bostic saw Matt Flynn fumble the snap and rushed in to break the play up. Jon Bostic has solidified his position as starting middle linebacker for the season opener.
- Isaiah Frey solidified his position as nickel back with an interception of Matt Flynn.
- Brandon Marshall had a ball swatted and two drops. Should we hit the panic button? (The answer is no)
- Zack Bowmen injured his hamstring and exited the game in the 2nd quarter.
- The offensive line isn’t perfect, but it is doing its job. They protected Jay Cutler and opened some large holes for the run game. Jermon Bushrod has been worth every penny the Bears spent.
- Jay Cutler picks up a bad snap and ran like an idiot. Stop doing that Jay.
- Robbie Gould kicked a 53 yard field goal to make the score 27 – 0.