Gentry caught one pass on two attempts and turned it into a 13-yard first down. It was a nice catch, but Gentry did not see the field until late in the game and was clearly seeing snaps behind players such as Rueben Randle, Josh Bellamy, and Deonte Thompson.
That is not going to put him on the roster. Of course, Randle is now injured, so
More from Bear Goggles On
- Franchise tag and transition tag windows open for Chicago Bears and NFL
- How the Chicago Bears can control the running back market in 2023
- The Chicago Bears can own the city of Chicago moving forward
- Chicago Bears NFL Combine Preview: Quarterback
- 7 best free agent tackle options for Chicago Bears
it does free up some snaps for him. Still, if Gentry is going to make a push for the roster, he has to be able to prove more reliable than Thompson and Bellamy.
Can Gentry earn that increase in snaps this week? On top of that, he will have to take advantage. The one pro of being down on the depth chart means he gets to develop a relationship with the future quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. Can these two show any chemistry late into the game? That would be the type of event that would have to happen to put Gentry on the map in terms of a roster spot.