News and Notes from Bears- Broncos Joint Practices
Here’s the details from the Bears and Broncos joint practice.
The Chicago Bears began their joint practices with the Denver Broncos and there weren’t many fireworks, but there was plenty of interesting news and notes from the practice. Here’s what you need to know.
- Mitch Trubisky looked sharp in practice and impressed Broncos defenders including Von Miller. Via Kevin Fishbain, “Mitch Trubisky is a great quarterback. He’s their franchise quarterback. He can do a little bit of everything.”
- Javon Wims torched the Broncos second team for a long touchdown from Chase Daniel.
- Joel Iyiegbuniwe was on the field and practicing which is a good sign for the Bears’ fourth round pick.
- Also on the field was rookie Roquan Smith who was in pads and took place in scrimmages with the Broncos. He handled coverage on Demaryius Thomas and was calling plays in the huddle.
- The Bears tight ends collectively torched the Broncos defense. Trey Burton and Adam Shaheen both had multiple catches for big yardage.
- Matt Nagy confirmed that the Bears would be taking chances down the field on a regular basis. They did it today against Denver and Nagy told the media, “That’s never going to stop, not in this offense.”
- Michael Joseph played well at cornerback. The Bears definitely have an open competition at the bottom end of that position and Joseph made a strong case for it today.
- Rookie Anthony Miller continues to impress. It would be a shock if he wasn’t a key part of this offense all season long.
More from Bear Goggles On
- Franchise tag and transition tag windows open for Chicago Bears and NFL
- How the Chicago Bears can control the running back market in 2023
- The Chicago Bears can own the city of Chicago moving forward
- Chicago Bears NFL Combine Preview: Quarterback
- 7 best free agent tackle options for Chicago Bears
- Allen Robinson wasn’t clicking well with Trubisky. He’s finally getting on the field and that chemistry is clearly going to take some time.
- The Bears defense as a unit didn’t look great. The Broncos offense had plenty of success.
- Kyle Fuller seemingly had the worst day of anyone in a Bears’ uniform. He was torched by Emmanuel Sanders.
- Cody Whitehair looked good in terms of blocking, but he had more snap issues with Trubisky. When will James Daniels be moved to first-team center?
- Taquan Mizzell continues to struggle in all aspects of the game. He seems destined to be released and probably not even headed to the practice squad.
That about finishes up the highlights. More info will be coming in from Denver all week as the Bears and Broncos continue their joint practices leading up to Saturday’s preseason game.