The Chicago Bears are bracing for another week without starting quarterback Justin Fields, as he is listed as doubtful with a right thumb injury against the New Orleans Saints.
Fields has missed the team’s last two games, and it looks like undrafted rookie Tyson Bagent will start again in Week 9.
With Fields practicing this week, he could be closer to a return for the Bears, but here’s how to proceed in Week 9 with the former first-round pick expected to be sidelined.
Best Chicago Bears prop bet for Week 9 vs. New Orleans Saints
Tyson Bagnet OVER 0.5 interceptions thrown
Bears fans may not want to fade their quarterback, but this is a brutal matchup for the youngster in Week 9.
The Saints are No. 5 in the NFL in interceptions this season with nine, and Bagent has three picks in 3 games (two starts) this season. He did avoid throwing a pick against the Las Vegas Raiders, but this defense is much tougher than Vegas.
I think even if Bagent plays well, the rookie is prone to make a mistake against one of the best defenses in the NFL.
If you’re considering tailing this prop pick, you should do so at DraftKings Sportsbook.
New users that sign up with the link below, deposit and wager $5 will instantly receive $200 in bonus bets!
Justin Fields injury status for Week 9 matchup vs. New Orleans Saints
Fields is officially listed as doubtful for the team’s Week 9 matchup with the New Orleans Saints.
Justin Fields injury history
Fields appeared in 15 games for the Bears last season, and he has not missed a game yet in 2023.
However, it looks like he will miss another game with his thumb injury – leading to Bagent getting a third start at the NFL level.
- Nov. 2021: Chest Rib Fracture
- Nov. 2021: Shoulder A/C Joint Separation – missed Week 12
- Jan. 2023: Inguinal Hip Strain – missed Week 18
When is Justin Fields coming back?
It appears that Fields has a chance to return in Week 10 on Thursday Night Football against the Carolina Panthers after he logged a limited session in practice this week.
If he can't, Fields' next chance to play would be in Week 11 (Nov. 19) against the Detroit Lions.
Chicago Bears next 5 opponents
- Carolina Panthers, Thursday, Nov. 9
- Detroit Lions, Sunday, Nov. 19
- Minnesota Vikings, Monday, Nov. 27
- Detroit Lions, Sunday, Dec. 10
- Cleveland Browns, Sunday, Dec. 17
Chicago Bears injury report
- Jaquan Brisker – out, concussion
- Tremaine Edmunds – out, knee
- Nate Davis – out, ankle
- Terell Smith – out, illness
- Justin Fields – doubtful, thumb
- Braxton Smith – questionable, neck
New Orleans Saints injury report
- Kendre Miller – questionable, illness
- Malcolm Roach – questionable, illness
- Ty Summers – out, concussion/hamstring
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.
Find Peter Dewey's betting record here.